Nowadays, there are a lot of inter users that experiment with sites such as Delicious (formerly del.icio.us), Citeulike, Backflip etc. You maybe have heard about the concept of social bookmarking, but what it means?
As Wikipedia says, “Social Bookmarking is a method for Internet users to share, organize, search, and manage bookmarks of web resources. Unlike file sharing, the resources themselves aren’t shared, merely bookmarks that reference them. Descriptions may be added to these bookmarks in the form of metadata, so that other users may understand the content of the resource without first needing to download it for themselves. Such descriptions may be free text comments, votes in favor of or against its quality, or tags that collectively or collaboratively become a folksonomy. Folksonomy is also called social tagging, “the process by which many users add metadata in the form of keywords to shared content””.
The concept of shared online bookmarks dates back to April 1996 with the launch of itList, the features of which included public and private bookmarks. Within the next three years, online bookmark services became competitive, with venture-backed companies such as those who I already mention.
Each user can see what others have chosen and add their description to the bookmark, or votes in favour or against them. Besides, like many other things it has its advantgaes and dissadvantages.
– We can keep our favourite references on the net instead of saving them in a computer.
– We can keep an eye on themes we are interested in.
– The use of simple “tags” is more confortable than keep them in folders.
– We can follow the links that other users add.
– There is no pre-established system of keywords or categories.
– Users can create ‘tags’ too customized with little meaning for others.
– Bookmark (web). (2009, October 8). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 18:41, October 18, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bookmark_(web)&oldid=318755541
– Social bookmarking. (2009, October 16). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 18:40, October 18, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Social_bookmarking&oldid=320232562
– ITList Information Technology Blog. Retrieved 18:41, October 18, 2009, from http://www.itlist.com/
– Social Bookmarking – Compartiendo enlaces de Internet. Retrieved 18:50, October 18, 2009, from http://eibar.org/blogak/prospektiba/es/archive/2005/02/20/178