In the following article, we are going to define four specialized terms:
- Machine translation.
- Machine aided translation.
- Multilingual content management.
- Translation technology.
The first one is Machine Translation: Sometimes referred to by the abbreviation MT, is a sub-field of computational linguistics that investigates the use of computer software to translate text or speech from one natural language to another. At its basic level, MT performs simple substitution of words in one natural language for words in another. Using corpus techniques, more complex translations may be attempted, allowing for better handling of differences in linguistic typology, phrase recognition, and translation of idioms, as well as the isolation of anomalies.
The second term is Computer-assisted translation, computer-aided translation, or CAT is a form of translation wherein a human translator translates texts using computer software designed to support and facilitate the translation process.
Besides we have the term of Multilingual content management that concerns the administration of multilingual websites. According to Danny Stofer it involves the following issues:
- Non-Latin character sets
Finally, we have the last one, Translation Technology is the technology in which the main action is the interpretation of the meaning of a text, and subsequent production of an equivalent text, also called a translation, that communicates the same message in another language. The text to be translated is called the source text, and the language it is to be translated into is called the target language; the final product is sometimes called the “target text”.
- Computer-assisted translation. (2008, May 15). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 13:45, May 18, 2008, from, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_translation
- Kitsite – Multilingual content management – Retrieved 13:25, May 24 2008, from, http://www.kitsite.com/articles/multilingual-content-management.html
- Machine translation. (2008, May 7). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 13: 10, May 24, 2008, from, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Machine_translation&oldid=210784346
- Translation. (2008, May 18). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 12:55, May 24, 2008, from, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Translation&oldid=213255707